If you would like to study at a German university, you have two possibilities:
You may try to get admitted to a degree course (Bachelor and Magister) at a German university. If the curriculum is conducted in German, usually one of the following examinations is necessary:
- Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber (DSH)
- Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF)
- Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (ZOP) des Goethe-Instituts
- Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom (KDS) des Goethe-Instituts
- Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS) des Goethe-Instituts
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz (DSD), Stufe II
If you would like to spend a semester or two as an exchange student in Germany, in most cases you will be exempted from having to prove your German language proficiency. Only some universities demand a language qualification as a matter of principle. So, please be sure to check the precise requirements of the university of your choice.
An overview of the German language examinations which are accepted by German Universities can be found under www.sprachnachweis.de.